On Wednesday, it was reported that more than 2,000 U.S. troops will be withdrawn from Iraq this month, according to the commander of U.S. Central Command.
“In recognition of the great progress the Iraqi forces have made and in consultation and coordination with the Government of Iraq and our coalition partners, the United States has decided to reduce our troop presence in Iraq from about 5,200 to 3,000 troops during the month of September,” Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie said.
The move is part of the “partner capacity programs” allowing the United States to reduce its footprint in Iraq while enabling Iraqi forces to expand. The move will allow America to decimate the final remnants of ISIS in the country, which will in turn ensure its “enduring defeat.”
“This decision is due to our confidence in the Iraqi Security Forces’ increased ability to operate independently,” McKenzie said.
President Trump has consistently been an anti-war President, making it clear he does not want the United States to be fighting in endless wars.
According to NBC News, “During an Oval Office meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi last month, Trump told reporters that “we look forward to the day when we don’t have to be there.”